Monday, May 4, 2015

Otaku Test

I've always felt weird about calling myself an Otaku. Am I really? Do I have the right to call myself that? I know there are a lot of factors and a lot of different types of Otaku, but I think this picture here should serve as an adequate test of my abilities.

The picture doesn't specify, but I'm going to stick to shows and not movies. It would be too easy to list all the Miyazki movies and knock out a huge chunk of the test. I'm also knocking out Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail, since those are pretty popular these days as well.

Also, I know it's hard to prove because this is the internet and this is just a blog post, but I'm not going to look anything up. All of these are going to be off the top of my head.

Alright, here we go. 20 Anime other than Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan. They must be shows not movies.


  1. Vampire Knight
  2. Rosario Vampire
  3. Norgami
  4. Last Exile
  5. Darker Than Black
  6. Blue Exorcist
  7. Devil is a Part Timer
  8. Strike Witches
  9. Simoun
  10. Sword Art Online
  11. InuYasha
  12. Soul Eater
  13. Blood +
  14. Wolf's Rain
  15. Elfen Lied
  16. Eureka 7
  17. Fruits Basket
  18. Witch Blade
  19. Ah! My Goddess
  20. This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
Bam! I know I've watched way more than that, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. I avoided Pokemon since I felt like that was kind of cheating as well. I also only included anime that I'd actually watched instead of ones that I've been meaning to watch or have only head of. 

There are a few that I haven't finished (Ah! My Goddess, Eureka 7, Wolf's Rain and InuYasha). And one that released a sequel that I haven't seen yet (Sword Art Online). With Wolf's Rain, I've actually seen most of it (including the end) but I missed out a lot on the beginning episodes. 

I have a terrible memory when it comes to names as well. So even though I remember the anime themselves, trying to remember the names of all the characters is brain meltingly difficult. I am, however, confident in my knowledge of their plots. 


So if anyone doubts me, feel free to ask me plot specific questions and I'll do my best to answer. I know this doesn't definitively prove that I'm an otaku. At the very best it means I've got an obsession with anime.

But I think being an otaku is more than just how much anime you watch or how much manga you read. It's really just about how obsessed you are with the manga and anime that you have watched/read.

I do believe that if you're a true Otaku then you're naturally going to branch out into other anime/manga/VNs/Light Novels, but I don't think any other person can actually define whether or not you're actually an otaku.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment